Churches

Affile

Church of St. Felicitas Martyr

The Church of St. Felicitas, now the parish church of Affile, is mentioned for the first time in the 14th century. The political centre of the town during the 14th and [...]

Church of Our Lady

The first mention of the Church of Our Lady in Affile, built on Roman walls that are still visible today, dates to 1005, although its present shape is due [...]

Church of St. Peter

On St. Peter's Hill rises a church dedicated to the same saint, mentioned by Pope Gregory the Great in the 6th century as the site of a monastic community. It is the [...]

Agosta

Church of Our Lady of the Assumption

Initially the chapel of the ancient castle, the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption in Agosta was built in 1700 on the site of an earlier funeral temple. The [...]
Interno del Santuario della Madonna del passo ad Agosta

Sanctuary of Our Lady del Passo

Situated on the Via Sublacense, the Sanctuary of Our Lady del Passo (of the footstep) was given the name to mark a miracle that took place in approx. 1616 when [...]

Albano Laziale

Sanctuary of St. Mary of the Rotunda

The Sanctuary of St. Mary of the Rotunda was built on a pretty nymphaeum which sets an interesting architectural precedent for the famous Pantheon of Rome. The church was consecrated in [...]

Cathedral of St. Pancras

The Cathedral of St. Pancras was built on the ruins of an ancient basilica constructed by Emperor Constantine. The crypt beneath the presbytery still holds some of the Ionic capitals from [...]

Allumiere

The Sanctuary of Cibona

The Sanctuary of Cibona sits in an isolated location, at the foot of Mount Urbano. It is in the middle of a beech forest, a short distance from Allumiere. The [...]

Church of Our Lady of Cibona

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The ruins of the Church of Our Lady of Cibona can be found on the road for Tolfa in the La Bianca area [...]

Sanctuary to Our Lady of Graces

The sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie (Our Lady of Grace) stands above Allumiere. It was built on the site of one of the many chapels dedicated to the [...]

Hermitage of the Holy Trinity

The oldest sanctuary in the Tolfa Hills is about 2 km from the town in a quiet and serene place. Tradition has it that St. Augustine stayed here [...]

Arcinazzo Romano

Chapel of St. Lucia

Construction of the Chapel of St. Lucia at Arcinazzo Romano probably dates to the 16th Century when it was erected on the site of an existing medieval church [...]

Church of Our Lady of the Assumption

The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption stands almost in the centre of the first inhabited area of Arcinazzo and its building dates, therefore, to the Middle [...]

Ardea

Church of St. Marina

Inside the cemetary of Ardea, the Church of St. Marina nestles against the sandstone rock known as della Civitavecchia. An inscription over the entrance establishes that [...]

Church of St.Peter Apostle

 The Church of St. Peter Apostle in Ardea is one of the oldest Romanic monuments in the Ardeatine area. It was built in three identifiable phases, between [...]

Subterranean Christian Oratory

In the Campetto area of Ardea, in front of the medieval ditches, there is a very interesting underground crypt. This was an ancient pagan sanctuary which later became [...]

Ariccia

Sanctuary of our Lady of Galloro

Legend tells that in March 1621, the young Sante Bevilacqua looking for hops in the area around the hill of Galloro, near Ariccia, stumbled upon a rock of [...]

Arsoli

Church of St.Roche

The Church of St. Roche is situated in the Borgo San Rocco, just a few metres from the octagonal fountain, in Arsoli. The little church has a [...]

Church of St.Lawrence

When walking up the Borgo San Rocco in Arsoli towards the square, take Via dello Stiratoio to reach the Church of St. Lawrence. The church dates to before the [...]

Church of the Most Holy Saviour

The present Church of the Most Holy Saviour was designed by Giacomo della Porta in 1580 to replace the previous building of the same name that had become [...]

onvent and church of St. Bartholomew

The most ancient parts of the complex of municipal building and the church of St. Bartholomew, once the convent and church of St. Bartholomew, most probably date back [...]

Artena

Convent of Our Lady of Jesus

 p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } Built on the slopes of Mount Foresta in October 1629 and commissioned by Cardinal Scipione Borghese, the Convent of Our Lady of Jesus [...]

Bellegra

Church of St. Nicholas

The Baroque Church of St. Nicholas in Bellegra comprises a presbytery and a single chamber. The main arch is inscribed with the dedication: LAUS DEO, BEATAE VIRGINI [...]

Chapel of St. Lucia

The picturesque Chapel of St. Lucia in Bellegra is situated close to the residence of the De Pompiliis family who built it in 1756 and still own it [...]

Church of St.Sixus and Pope Sixtus II P.M

The parish church of St. Sixtus situated in the square of the same name in Bellegra was built in the 1970s on the site of a 16th century [...]

Holy Retreat or Convent of St. Francis

The Holy Retreat or Convent of St. Francis in Bellegra, famous in the Catholic world for its apostolic activity and the goodness of the monks who spent part [...]

Camerata Nuova

Church of Our Lady of the Assumption in Heaven

The building of the neoclassical-style church with its oratory dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption began in 1860. The initiative was put forward by Pope Pius IX himself [...]

Sanctuary of Our Lady of Grace

The Shrine of Our Lady of Grace of Camerata is a small church of the seventeenth century, the destination of pilgrimages on Easter Monday and must see in [...]

Campagnano di Roma

Sanctuary of our Lady of Sorbo

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The complex comprising the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Sorbo can be seen from the Sorbo Valley, which is cut lengthways by the [...]

Canale Monterano

Hermitage of discalced Carmelite Friars

The exterior appearance, the structure and the monuments of Etruscan Monterano are almost completely unknown due to the lack of systematic archaeological research, the perishability of the [...]

Capena

Church of St. Leo the Great

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The little Church of St. Leo the Great is to be found in the midst of the old cemetary of Capena which was [...]

Church of St.Michael Archangel

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The church of St. Michael Archangel in Capena was built in 1908. Its design follows the typical basilica floor plan, a nave and two [...]

Capranica Prenestina

Church of St. Mary Magdalen

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The Church of St. Mary Magdalen in Capranica Prenestina has been restored at various times in its history, but its present state reflects [...]

Sanctuary of Mentorella

The Sanctuary of Mentorella is thought to be the oldest of its kind in Italy dedicated to Our Lady (12th-13th C.). Its origins are still cloaked in legend. It [...]

Carpineto Romano

Church of St. Maria del Popolo

The Church of St.Maria del Popolo in Carpineto Romano is cared for by the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament. Building of the church began in 12th century as a votive church [...]

Convent and Church of St Peter the Apostle

The convent of the Friars Minor Riformati and the adjacent church, dedicated to St. Peter the Apostle, were built on a hill facing Carpineto Romano in 1610 [...]

Church of San Leone Magno

The travertine-stone facade of the Church of San Leone Magno in Carpineto Romano bears the papal crest (Leo XIII) and also has a raised porch. The inside of the Church takes [...]

Collegiate Church of the Sacred Heart

The Collegiate Church of Carpineto Romano dedicated to St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist and also known as the Church of the Sacred Heart, was built in [...]

Church of St. Sebastian

The Church of St. Sebastian is to be found in the area of Carpineto Romano known as Dammonte, once outside the walls. Dating to the 17th century, Pope Leo XIII had the [...]

Church of St. Augustine

The Church of St. Augustine in Carpineto Romano was already documented in the 13th century. It was originally dedicated to St. Anthony Abbot, patron saint of animals, and governed by an [...]

Casape

(Italiano) Chiesa di San Pietro

Although the present Church of St. Peter Apostle was built in 1955, the parish has existed since the 11th century. The church contains a wooden crucifix dating to the 12th century which [...]

Castel Madama

Church of St.Michael Archangel

The parish Church of St. Michael Archangel in Castel Madama was built in 1775 on the site of a 13th century oratory dedicated to the same saint. [...]

Castel San Pietro Romano

hurch of St. Peter Apostle

Tradition holds that the Church of St. Peter the Apostle in Castel San Pietro Romano was founded by Emperor Constantine to mark the place where the Apostle Peter [...]

Castelnuovo di Porto

Church of St. Sebastian

The small church dedicated to St. Sebastian stands on the summit of a little hill facing the fortress of Castelnuovo di Porto, on the Campana vetus, the ancient [...]

Church of St. Augustine and St. Anthony Abbot

The hospital that was part of the same complex as the Church of St. Augustine and St. Anthony Abbot on the Via Flaminia in Castelnuovo di Porto, is [...]

Church of our Lady of Virtue

In the second half of the 12th century, the population of Il Monte, in Castelnuovo di Porto venerated a painting of the Virgin and Child with St. John [...]

Collegiate Church of Our Lady of the Assumption

The large Collegiate Church of Our Lady of the Assumption is situated North West of the fortress of Castelnuovo di Porto. It is flanked by the Oratory [...]

Cave

Convent and Church of St. Charles Borromeo

The parish church dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo in Cave was built in Doric style in the 17th century. The church is considered one of the most [...]

Cerreto Laziale

Church of Our Lady of the Assumption

The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption in Cerreto Laziale dates to the 12th-13th centuries, but since then has been remodelled and refurbished so many times that [...]

Cervara di Roma

Church of Our Lady of the Portella

As the name indicates, the little church of Our Lady of the Portella (small gate) is situated on the outskirts of the town of Cervara di Roma. [...]

Collegiate Church of Our Lady of the Visitation

The Collegiate Church of Our Lady of the Visitation is situated in a dominant position over the hilltop town of Cervara, beneath the mountain peak. The building, extremely simple [...]

Ciciliano

Church of St.Liberata

The Church of St. Liberata in Ciciliano was built in the 15th century and enlarged in the 17th century. Towards the end of 19th century a small choir with [...]

Church of our Lady of the Ball

The Church known as Our Lady of the Ball is wedged between other buildings in Ciciliano. It has a rectangular shape with two side altars and a [...]

Church of our Lady of the Ball

The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption in Ciciliano has a basilica floor plan, with no transept, a nave and two aisles separated by round arches supported [...]

Cineto Romano

Church of St.John the Baptist

The parish church of Cineto Romano, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an elegant building with severe architectural lines situated in a pleasant setting. Inside, imposing pillars separate [...]

Civitavecchia

Church of The Virgin of Graces (or the Star)

The Church of The Virgin of Graces (or the Star), situated in Piazza Leandra, is perhaps one of the oldest churches in Civitavecchia. It is the seat of [...]

Church of St Mary of the Oration and Death

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The little church of St Mary of the Oration and Death in Civitavecchia, remarkable for the elegant simplicity of its Greek cross floor [...]

Cathedral of St.Francis of Assisi

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The Cathedral dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi is situated on the main square of Civitavecchia, just before taking Corso Marconi towards Tarquinia, [...]

Civitella San Paolo

Church of St.Lawrence

The Church of St. Lawrence is the oldest church in the village of Civitella San Paolo and was mentioned for the first time in a 1218 document as [...]

Convent of St.Scholastica

The Monastery of St. Scholastica was founded in 1934 in Civitella San Paolo on the territory and under the jurisdiction of the territorial abbot of St. Paul Outside [...]

Colleferro

Church of the Most Holy Immaculate Mary

The rapid population increase in the town of Colleferro in the second half of the 1950s made the building of a new parish church a necessity. Called [...]

Church of St.Barbara

The cornerstone of the Church of St. Barbara in Colleferro was blessed by the Bishop of Segni, Mons. Tessaroli, on 12th July 1936. Built to a design [...]

Fiano Romano

New Church of St.Stephen

The parvise of the New Church of St. Stephen, the only church still open for worship in Fiano Romano, opens onto the main square in the ancient borgo [...]

Filacciano

Church of Sant Egidio Abbot of Filacciano

The Church of Sant'Egidio of Romanesque style, was probably built in the late tenth century, the bell tower of the eleventh century. Founders were the Benedictine monks of [...]

Fonte Nuova

Church of Gesù Maestro

p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: 116%;">The parish church of Gesù Maestro is located in Via Nomentana (at km 17.8) in Tor Lupara, a [...]

Formello

Church of St. Lawrence Martyr

The Church of St. Lawrence Martyr was probably built between the 10th and 11th centuries. The assymetrical walls of the façade show the signs of [...]

Church of St. Michael Archangel

The Church of St. Michael Archangel was built in the 13th century. The extremely simple façade, of [...]

Frascati

Cathedral of St.Peter

The Cathedral of St. Peter, which is also the Frascati parish church, was originally the Church of Our Lady in Vivario. As the population of Frascati grew, [...]

Gallicano nel Lazio

Chapel of St. Mary of Cavamonte

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The little Chapel of St. Mary of Cavamonte can be found on Via Prenestina in Gallicano nel Lazio, close to the turning for [...]

Church of St.Roche

p>The little Church of St. Roche in Gallicano nel Lazio was built by the population in 1628 to honour a vow. As contemporary sources attest, in the [...]

Genazzano

Sanctuary Basilica of our Mother of Good Counsel

In Genazzano, there used to be an old 10th-century church where today the Sanctuary of Our Mother of Good Counsel stands.  The existing church was redesigned and enlarged between [...]

Gorga

Church of the Most Holy Virgin of the Rosary

The Church of the Most Holy Virgin of the Rosary was built in the centre of the village of Gorga at the end of the 19th century and [...]

Church of our Lady of the Assumption

The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption was built around 1772, when Prince Andrea Doria Pamphilj promised to build it, tempting Gorga’s entire population, men and women [...]

Church of St.Michael Archangel

The Church of St. Michael Archangel, dedicated to the patron saint of the walls of the medieval town, is situated in front of the ancient castle. It was [...]

Grottaferrata

Abbey of St.Nilus

The museum, set up in 1875 in the San Nilo Monastery, founded in 1004 on the ruins of a Roman villa, contains material that has been collected over [...]

Guidonia Montecelio

Church of St.Lawrence Martyr

The Church of St. Lawrence Martyr was the first parish church built outside the walls of the Castle of Montecelio, today the town of Guidonia Montecelio. According [...]

Church of St.John Evangelist

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The inscription on the Church of St. John Evangelist states that its was built at the start of the 1700s, on the site [...]

Labico

Lanuvio

Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie

The Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie in Lanuvio features a church which was rebuilt in 1523, enlarging upon a previous fourteenth century church which can still be made [...]

Collegiate Church of St. Mary Major

The Collegiate Church of St. Mary Major is the principal centre of Catholic worship in Lanuvio. The present building was constructed on the site of an earlier Romanesque church [...]

Lariano

Parish Church of St.Mary Intemerata

The façade has a small portico which resembles the narthex of early Christian churches. The central nave features large windows portraying the faces of the Apostles, a number [...]

Magliano Romano

Church of St. John the Baptist

Of medieval origin (XIV c.) The church has had several renovations. The façade of 1932, while the sixteenth century dating the frescoes preserved in the three apses internal [...]

Mandela

Church of St.Nicolas in Mandela

The original nucleus of the Church of St. Nicholas, undoubtedly one of the oldest buildings still standing in modern day Mandela, can be dated to the eleventh century, [...]

Marano Equo

The sanctuary of the “Madonna della Quercia”

The sanctuary of the "Madonna della Quercia" great spiritual reference of the people maranese, nestled in the foothills of the Mountains Ruffi, is a must see. Its beautiful scenery [...]

Marcellina

Monastery of Our Lady of Monte Dominici

The earliest historical mention of the Monastery of Our Lady of Monte Dominici is contained in the 956 Chartula Sancti Januarii, part of the Regesto Tiburtino (the register [...]

Marino

Basilica of St.Barnabas

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The Collegiate Basilica of St. Barnabas is the principal place of Catholic worship in the town of Marino, part of the suburbicarian diocese [...]

Monte Compatri

Convent of St.Sylvester

The Convent of St. Sylvester in Monte Compatri was founded in 1605 and took its name from Pope St. Sylvester I who was greatly venerated in this area. The [...]

Monteflavio

Church of our Lady of the Assumption

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The strategic positioning of the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, built in 1600, ensured its dominant position in the village and [...]

Montelanico

Church of St. Peter the Apostle

It's the largest of the two parish churches (the other is St. Michael the Archangel) restored in 1703 at the behest of the principles Pamphili, after being partially [...]

Montelibretti

Church of St. Nicholas of Bari

Built in 1535 and rebuilt in 1773. Inside, two seventeenth century paintings: Madonna and Child Enthroned with Saints Dominic and Catherine. [...]

Monterotondo

The Cathedral of Saint Mary Magdalene

The Cathedral of Monterotondo, the Basilica of Saint Mary Magdalene, is one of the elements that, alongside Piazza del Popolo opposite and the straight road of Via Cavour, [...]

Montorio Romano

(Italiano) Chiesa della Santissima Annunziata e di Cristo Re

The parish church in Montorio Romano, dedicated to the Holy Annunciation and Christ the King, is situated in the more recent area of the town and was built [...]

Moricone

Church of Jesus and Mary

The facade of the Church of Jesus and Mary in Moricone, a simple hut with pitched roof, is in plastered brick, with marble cornicing around the entrance and [...]

Church of our Lady of the Assumption

The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption leans against the ancient castle of Moricone and presses onto an older, more modest building, which was reached through the [...]

Morlupo

Franciscan Convent of Santa Maria Seconda

The Convent of Our Lady of Graces in Morlupo stands on an ancient Franciscan site, a place of retreat and prayer. It is better known as [...]

Nazzano

Church of St. Anthimus

The Church of St. Anthimus, which sits on top of a hill outside the central area of Nazzano, was built before the 10th century, according to various sources. Repairs [...]

Convent and Church of St. Francis

According to several historical sources, the first Franciscan community in Nazzano was founded by St. Anthony of Padua in 1299. The convent was built on land donated by the [...]

Nemi

Church’s of St. Mary’s well

The Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception, also known as the Church of St. Mary’s Well (in Italian, Santa Maria del Pozzo, in  latin de Puteo) is the [...]

Hermitage St. Michael Archangel

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The Cave of St. Michael Archangel is a natural grotto, situated on the spur beneath the Castle of Nemi. During the time [...]

Nerola

Church of St.Mary and St.George

p>There was a church dedicated to St. George in the Capocroce area of Nerola from the end of the 14th century. It was later annexed to the [...]

Nettuno

Church of St.Francis

The Church of St. Francis is outside the medieval borgo, in the square of the same name. According to tradition, it was founded by St. Francis while [...]

Sanctuary-Basilica of Our Lady of the Graces and Santa Maria Goretti

The Sanctuary–Basilica of Our Lady of the Graces and Santa Maria Goretti lies on the former site of the small Church of the Annunciation. According to tradition, [...]

Palestrina

Convent of Saint Francis

The convent of Saint Francis, not far from the Palazzo Barberini in Palestrina, is one of the most important examples of Franciscan architecture in the Province of Rome. It [...]

Church of Santa Rosalia

The Baroque church of Santa Rosalia in Palestrina, designed by Contini, is englobed in the architectonic structure of the Palazzo Colonna Barberini. It was built and opened as a [...]

Church of Sant’Antonio Abate

The church of Sant'Antonio Abate was designed by Orazio Turriani and built by Sebastiano Fantoni. In 1614 the convent and the [...]

Cathedral of Martyr Saint Agapitus

The Church of Martyr Saint Agapitus is the Cathedral of Palestrina; its origins are very old. It was built between the 4rth and 5th Century upon the ruins of [...]

Palombara Sabina

Church of St.Blaise

The Church of St. Blaise was originally one of the four hermit sanctuaries in the Palombara area, which included Our Lady of the Gonfalone, St. Michael and St. [...]

Church of our Lady of the Sign

The Church of Our Lady of the Sign (also known as Our Lady of the Annunciation) has its origins in the 14th century and is Franciscan in [...]

Abbey of Saint John in Argentella

The Benedictine Abbey of St. John in Argentella in Palombara Sabina was founded in the 10th Century, although the existing building is said to date back to the [...]

Pisoniano

Church of St.Paul

p>The church of Pisoniano has been dedicated to St. Paul since the dawn of time, perhaps because of the tradition that has the apostle begin his preaching of [...]

Church of St. Victoria

The extremely simple little church has a single entrance portal with two windows to each side and an oculus in the upper portion, beneath the pitched roof. The church [...]

Poli

Church of St.Peter Apostle

The archpriestly church of St. Peter Apostle in Poli was built between 1603 and 1610. It was built by the Conti family of Poli to replace the previous, smaller [...]

Ponzano Romano

Church of St.Nicholas of Bari

The parish Church of St. Nicholas of Bari, dedicated to the patron saint of Ponzano Romano, is situated on the small Piazza di San Nicolò in the centre [...]

Abbey of St. Andrew in Flumine

The Abbey of St. Andrew in Flumine is just outside Ponzano Romano. Of similar architecture to the Carolingian Abbey of Lorsch in Germany, it is surrounded by fortified [...]

Riano

Church of our Lady of Peace

The little Church of Our Lady of Peace, situated in the valley South East of Riano, has an extremely simple architectural structure and interior decoration. The name of the [...]

Church of St.George

The little Church of St. George, the oldest in the Riano area, was built on a hill north west of the town, close to the cemetery. It has a [...]

Church of the Immaculate Conception

The church in Riano, now known as the Immaculate Conception, was built in 1490 by the Benedictine monks of St. Paul outside the walls as their parish church, [...]

Ex Convent of the Capuchin Friars Minor (now Cittadella Ecumenica Taddeide)

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The Convent of the Capuchin Friars Minor of Riano was built in the second half of the 16th century when the Cesi family [...]

Rignano Flaminio

Collegiate Church of St.Vincent and St.Anastasius

p>Built in 1400, the Collegiate Church is dedicated to the patrons of Rignano Flaminio, the Martyr Saints Vincent and Anastasius, whose feast day is 22 January. The church holds [...]

Riofreddo

Holy Annunciation

The building and decoration of the Oratory of the Most Holy Annunciation was commissioned by Antonio Colonna, of the Riofreddo branch of the Colonna family. The date [...]

Rocca di Cave

Church of St. Nicholas of Bari

The Church of St. Nicholas of Bari was built in the mid-18th century. The remains of the martyr saints Justin, Zosimus, Valerio and Superco can be found under [...]

Rocca di Papa

Church of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven

The Church of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven is situated in Piazza Duomo in Rocca di Papa. The cornerstone was laid on 3 May 1664. Two [...]

S

 p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The Sanctuary of Madonna del Tufo (Our Lady of the Sandstone) can be found on the slopes of Mount Cavo, the 'Mons Albanus' [...]

Rocca Priora

Church of our Lady of the Assumption

The parish church dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption in Rocca Priora dates to the end of 1400s. It has undergone various changes over the centuries, the [...]

Roiate

Church of St. Benedict

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } Tradition relates that St Benedict of Nursia left his imprint (170 cm long, 45 cm wide, 40 cm deep) on a rock while [...]

Sacrofano

(Italiano) Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista

The Church of St. John the Baptist in Sacrofano was built in the 12th century and restored in the 15th. The sandstone block bell tower dates to the [...]

Sambuci

Church of the Holy Cross

p>p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The Church of the Holy Cross at Sambuci was built in 1662 and can be found on Via Girolamo Theodoli. The plaster [...]

Convent and Church of our Lady of Graces

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The Church of Our Lady of Graces, also known as the Holy Virgin of the Nativity, is just outside the borgo of Sambuci. [...]

San Gregorio da Sassola

Church of St. Sebastian

The present Church of St. Sebastian was built on the site of an earlier church dedicated to the same saint which dated back to the late 1500s. A public vote, [...]

Church of the Madonna della Cavata

The Church of the Madonna della Cavata in San Gregorio da Sassola takes its name from the painting of that name conserved inside. One tradition recounts that this painting was 'cavata' [...]

Church of St. Blaise

The small Church of St. Blaise in San Gregorio da Sassola has a simple gabled roof with a single entrance, framed by a grey stone arched portal and surmounted by [...]

Church of St. Gregory the Great

The Church of St. Gregory the Great was built in 1537 on the site of a previous church which presumably dated back to Gothic times. Between 1865 and 1867, the church [...]

San Polo dei Cavalieri

Church of St. Nicholas of Bari

The Church of St. Nicholas of Bari was built in San Polo dei Cavalieri by Crusaders on their return from a campaign in the Holy Land. The smooth façade, in plastered [...]

Church of St. Lucia

The Romanesque - Baroque Church of St. Lucia in San Polo dei Cavalieri is the oldest place of worship in the town, dating back to before 1400 when it was [...]

San Vito Romano

Church of St. Mary de Arce

The Church of St. Mary de Arce in San Vito Romano gains its name from its position on the historical parade ground of the Colonna family. The first phase of its [...]

Sant'Angelo Romano

S. Angelo Romano _Chiesa di S.Maria e S. Biagio

Church of St.Mary and St.Blaise

The church was built in the mid 18th century. The building has a simple pitched roof and a facade enlivened by the visual spaces created by the two side and [...]
S. Angelo Romano_Chiesa di San Michele

Church of St. Michael

Following its consecration by Pope Eugene III in the mid 12th Century, the Church of St. Michael at Sant'Angelo Romano was often used for funeral rites and as a burial ground. In [...]

Sant'Oreste

Collegiate Church of St. Lawrence Martyr

he Church of St. Lawrence Martyr is the parish church of the town of Sant'Oreste. It was built from 1568 to an original design by Vignola, under commission from Cardinal Alessandro [...]

Santa Marinella

Church of our Lady of the Assumption of St. Severa

The present parish church in St. Marinella, dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption and St. Severa, was built around 1595 by Commendatore Agostino Fivizzani as a response to [...]

Baptistery of the Castle of St.Severa

The Baptistery is the older of the two churches in the medieval borgo of St. Severa and is positioned close to the original entrance. The small chapel holds a baptismal font made from [...]

Segni

Church of St.Peter

of the temple of the ancient acropolis. The remains of the temple's side porches were used to build the Gothic bell tower (about 15m high), whose upper part was [...]

Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption

The present Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption dates to 1626 when Bishop Ludovico Atti decided to completely rebuild it on the ruins of the earlier church [...]

Subiaco

Church of St.Mary of the Valley

The Church of St. Mary of the Valley, situated beneath the Rocca Abbaziale in the square of the same name, in Subiaco, was designed by the architect Carlo [...]

Church of St. Andrew

Built in 1789, the Church of St. Andrew Apostle in Subiaco was designed by the architect Pietro Camporese and his sons and commissioned by Cardinal Giovanni Angelo Braschi, at the [...]

Monastery of St. Scolastica

The Monastery of St. Scholastica is the most ancient, functioning Benedictine monastery in the world and is also known for being the "birthplace of Italian printing". It is the [...]

Monastery and Church of St. Francis

The Monastery and Church of St. Francis are situated on a bucolic hill, immersed in the green countryside, at the edge of a thick chestnut forest. Construction of the complex dates [...]

Monastery of St.Benedict (or Sacro Speco)

After leaving the Sublacense highway, following a spectacular rocky road and driving through a forest of ancient holm oaks, one reaches the Monastery of St. Benedict (or Sacro Speco/Holy [...]

Tivoli

Church of St.Sylvester

The Church of St. Sylvester in Tivoli dates to the late 12th century as the regularly walled stone structure attests. Tradition holds that the church was founded by Pope Simplicius, along with [...]

Church of St.Mary Major

Tradition holds that the Church of St. Mary Major was founded by Pope Simplicius in the second half of the 5th century on territory belonging to an ancient Roman villa in [...]

Cathedral of St. Lawrence

In its present form, the Cathedral of St. Lawrence in Tivoli dates to the mid 17th century when it was completely rebuilt by Cardinal Giulio Roma, Bishop of the [...]

Trevignano

Church of St. Catherine

The Church of St. Catherine of Alexandria was probably built during the second half of the 15th century within an ancient Roman construction, of which several blind arches in black flint opus [...]

Church of our Lady Assumed into Heaven

The church was built in the historical centre of Trevignano and offers a splendid panorama. Built in the 16th century on the foundations of an ancient, Gothic style building [...]

Vallepietra

Valmontone

Convent of St.Angelus of the Conventual Franciscans

The Convent of St. Angelus of the Conventual Franciscans in Valmontone was founded in or near the year 1000 by Benedictine monks, although the present building is the result of [...]

Collegiate Church of our Lady of Assumption

The Collegiate Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, managed by an archiprete and the college of canons which give it the name, is the treasure of the town [...]

Velletri

Parish Church of St.Mary in Trivio

Built before the Bell tower, the Church of St. Mary in Trivio in Velletri was originally in the Gothic style, with a bare planked ceiling. It was falling into disrepair [...]

Church of St.Micheal Archangel

The Church of St. Michael Archangel in Velletri is mentioned in a 1065 document, although tradition holds that it is older. Historians believe that the church was built on the ruins [...]

Cathedral of St. Clement

The Cathedral of St. Clement is the most important religious symbol of the city and of the suburbicarian diocese of Velletri- Segni. It dates back to the 5th century. It was built [...]

Vicovaro

Church of Our Lady of the Sepulchre

The small Church of Our Lady of the Sepulchre, a rural church of Renaissance origin, stands to one side of Via Valeria, several kms from Vicovaro, where the Ronci and [...]

Church of the Holy Saviour

The Church of the Holy Saviour in Vicovaro was built on Roman ruins. Probably medieval in origin, as the characteristic belfry would indicate, the small building has a rectangular floor [...]

Church of St.Anthony Abbot

The Church of St. Anthony Abbot, a building of Renaissance origin, dating to the late 15th/early 16th centuries can be found just outside the town of Vicovaro. Expanded in the late [...]

Church of St.Peter

The Church of St. Peter Apostle, built in the medieval era, was completely rebuilt in 1755 by Giacomo Alamandini Bolognetti following 18th century architectural lines and a project by the [...]

Chapel of St. James

The Chapel of St. James bears most impressive witness to the past splendor of Vicovaro. Built by Giovanni Antonio Orsini to hold the family tombs, it was situated on one [...]

Convent of St.Cosimato

The Convent of San Cosimato in Vicovaro is situated in one of the most picturesque areas of the Aniene Valley, where the rock cliffs rising over the river with natural [...]

Vivaro Romano

Parish Church of St.Blaise Bishop and Martyr

The Neo-Gothic church of St. Blaise Bishop and Martyr in Vivaro Romano houses a recently restored 12th century, Oriental fresco of the Most Holy Illuminated Mary in a wooden shrine. Three beautiful tryptychs [...]

Sanctuary of our Lady Illuminated

The Sanctuary of Our Lady Illuminated in Vivaro Romano sits on the hill of Santa Maria, approximately 3 km from the town centre. Although the date of its foundation remains unknown, [...]

Zagarolo

Church of the Most Holy Annunciation

The Church of the Most Holy Annunciation in Zagarolo was commissioned by Pompeo Colonna and his wife Orinzia and the cornerstone laid on 18th October 1580 by Pompeo's brother, Cardinal Marcantonio [...]

Cathedral of St.Peter the Apostle

The parish church of St. Peter The Apostle in Zagarolo was built upon the ruins of another, smaller church which was demolished when it was no longer big enough to [...]

Cathedral of St.Lawrence the Martyr

The Cathedral of St. Lawrence the Martyr, patron saint of Zagarolo, rises over Piazza Guglielmo Marconi. Building started in 1607 by Duke Marzio Colonna and was completed by [...]

Convent and Church of our Lady of Graces

The Church and adjacent Convent of Our Lady of Graces in the town of Zagarolo were commissioned by Cardinal Giovanni Colonna, Bishop of Sabina, in 1200 to replace a hermitage. As [...]

All Municipalities

Map

Calendar

MTWTFSS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
View all »

Tag