The road from the castle, built in the 14th century on the site of the city of Pyrgi, leads to the small square containing the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, built in 1594, where the remains of Saint Severa, after whom the Castle was named, are kept.
The polygonal walls defended the inhabitants of the castle and neighbouring coasts from enemy attack.
The Museum holds a collection of instruments used in naval carpentry and various amphorae.
The imposing 11th century Norman Tower still dominates the coastline. A succession of different populations and cultures have left their mark here.
The Castle of St. Severa, which falls within the Municipality of Santa Marinella, is one of the biggest tourist attractions on the Tyrrhenian coast.