Colonna Palace dominates Genazzano with its majesty. As the name attests, its history is linked to the Colonna family who, over the generations, transformed the castle from a simple defensive fortress with expansions, transformations and embellishments, into a baronial residence of great artistic and architectural relevance.
The first document, an act of donation for the abbey of Subiaco, mentioning Genazzano Castle dates to 10th August 1022. It passed to the Colonna family in 1053 who built the first structure in the Middle Ages around 1227 as a defensive outpost. The fortress was transformed into the family's personal residence only in the Renaissance period, with work undertaken by Filippo Colonna, prince of the town.
Despite the medieval battles and numerous sieges, the castle reached 1915 intact, when an earthquake with epicentre in Avezzano caused the first damage. Further damage was incurred during WWII.
After 40 years of abandonment, the Castle was bought in 1979 by the Municipality of Genazzano who started restructuring the building.
Today the Castle is the International Centre of Contemporary Art and houses various facilities including a specialized library, a history archive, a conference room, guided visits, didactic laboratories with multimedia technology, video, digital and paper libraries, a bar and a shop.
The Colonna Castle is one of the sites of great artistic and cultural value included in the “ABC – Art, Beauty and Culture – places to live in the Province of Rome” project.