Browse fullscreen [x]
According to several historical sources, the first Franciscan community in Nazzano was founded by St. Anthony of Padua in 1299.
The convent was built on land donated by the Benedictine fathers, but was later destroyed by an earthquake and rebuilt in brick thanks to the generosity of the faithful.
In 1655, the structure was used to house novices and it was continually modified until 1843 when the support spurs were added.
The Church had a similar destiny, and only thanks to the work that started in 1752, finishing in 1759, was it possible for them to built the church as it is today.
Both Convent and Church are situated inside an ancient wood of holm oaks and oak trees. Nearby are ruins of an old chapel and another building from the same era.
The Church houses a marble altar by Brother Antonio da Roma, beautifully made wooden confessionals and choir stalls and paintings and frescoes attributed to Giovanni and Sebastiano Conca.
The convent was abandoned at the end of 9th century and is private property today, while the church belongs to the Foundation of Places of Worship (Fondo Edifici di Culto)