The original castle overlooking Lake Albano was built at the end of the 12th century by the Gandolfi family. Urban VIII Barberini (1623-44) was the first Pope to use this Palace as his summer seat, hiring Carlo Maderno to transform the old castle into a grand residence. Maderno incorporated the medieval structures into the New Papal Palace, adding a wing looking out over the Lake and planting the small garden (Giardino del Moro). Bernini designed the large gallery, the entrance gate to the garden and the fountain in the square in front of the Palace. In 1710, Pope Clement XI conferred the title of “Papal Villa” on the residence at Castel Gandolfo. The property was expanded with the wonderful garden filled with sculptures and fountains in villa Cybo. This Papal Palace also provides the base for the Vatican Observatory (Specola Vaticana), which was moved here from the Vatican in 1934.