The prestigious building that houses the Museum, designed by F. Gasparoni in approximately 1834, is inspired by Neoclassical taste: a delicate pictorial decoration by G. B. Caretti adorns the rooms.
The museum is composed of 23 exhibitive rooms on 3 floors and an annexed archaeological park. It contains a series of relics dating from the Palaeolithic Period to the Early Renaissance accompanied by excellent didactic apparatus and enhanced by two interactive multimedia areas.
In the first room there is a collection of minerals related to the formation of the Laziale Volcano; in the other rooms contain objects from the Palaeolithic and Middle Bronze Ages, including some objects from the lake dwelling submerged in the waters of lake Albano and from the Civilization in Lazio, with important finds that, amongst other things, can be related to the first dwellings in Alba Longa.
The polychrome ceramic head of a Latin warrior is of special note (V century B.C.). Also on show are relics from the Roman, Palaeo-Christian, Medieval and Renaissance Periods from city archaeological complexes and from the surrounding territory.