In the Municipal territory of Santa Marinella the remains of many Roman bridges are still preserved that were part of the ancient route of the via Aurelia, the famous consular road out of Rome which ran through the coastal Etruria and Liguria, built starting from the 3rd C. b.c. following the previous Etruscan road layout.
The remains of the bridges, all built during the Republican Age (III – II C. b. c.) and still in use almost until the modern day, preserve traces of the many reiterated restoration or re-building works done on them.
Of particular interest are the Largo Impero Bridge (km 60.400 of the via Aurelia) with an arch made up of 15 limestone voussoirs and the via Roma Bridge (km 60.700 ) with it’s segmental arch with 19 radial limestone voussoirs and traces of supporting wall structures and cement abutments. One bridge that is difficult to access these days is the beautiful Vignacce bridge (km 62.300 ) also built with a single span of sandstone voussoirs, and like the others restored in 1910.